Jobnas.com – Abbotsford School District is one of the fastest growing communities in Canada, situated in the beautiful Fraser Valley of British Columbia. Fraser Valley is just one hour from Vancouver and 15 minutes from the US border.
Abbotsford School District offers a wide range of programs and services to meet the diverse needs of its students. The district has a strong focus on literacy and numeracy, with programs in place to support struggling students and to challenge high-achievers.
The district also offers a variety of specialized programs, including programs for students with special needs, English language learners, and gifted students.
In addition to academic programs, the district also places a strong emphasis on extracurricular activities and athletics. Many of the district’s schools offer a wide range of sports teams, clubs, and other activities for students to get involved in.
The district is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for all students. The district has a number of policies in place to promote a positive and respectful school culture, and to address issues of bullying and discrimination.
The district is also known for its focus on technology integration in the classroom. Many of the district’s schools have adopted a 1-to-1 technology model, where each student is provided with their own device to use in class. This allows students to access digital resources, collaborate with classmates, and complete assignments digitally.
Profile of Abbotsford School District
Overall, Abbotsford School District is known for its commitment to providing a high-quality education to all students in a safe, inclusive and innovative environment.
Located in the heart of the Fraser Valley, the Abbotsford School District has 46 schools that are attended by over 19,200 full and part time students at 30 elementary schools, 8 middle schools, 1 combined middle-secondary school, and 7 secondary schools.
As the largest employer in the city, The Abbotsford School District employ over 2,200 full and part time teaching and support staff who are committed to helping students succeed.
The Abbotsford School District offer a variety of quality programs to meet unique learning needs and we engage students in stimulating and relevant educational experiences.
The Abbotsford School District honours the traditional territory of the Sumas First Nation and Matsqui First Nation on which our schools are located. It is with respectful consideration that the programs and services provide to students and families are sensitive to the cultural protocols of these two communities.
Preparing and inspiring our students for a lifetime of success through Respect, Opportunity, and Innovation.
A world-class, innovative, and individualized educational experience for every student.
Respect, Trust, Integrity, Communication, Teamwork.
Abbotsford School District Programs
Abbotsford Career Programs
The Abbotsford School District offers programs in a variety of career and job training settings for secondary students, while they also attand their regular schooling.
Students can learn trades, vocational and business skills – from carpentry to heavy equipment operation, hair styling to cook training, drafting, and more. We have numerous options to consider!
Bakerview Centre for Learning
Bakerview Centre for Learning provides a caring, safe, student-focused environment; an alternative to conventional secondary schools.
Whether you are an adult returning to school to satisfy entry into a post-secondary school, or a teenager who is having difficulty within the regular school system, we invite you to check out this secondary school for learners between the ages of 14 and 65.
Our supportive staff are committed to student success, while offering innovative and flexible programs and schedules. We have hundreds and hundreds of success stories from Bakerview Centre for Learning’s students and alumni!
Early Learning represents Abbotsford School District’s commitment to each and every young student in our community – to be exposed to nurturing, stimulating and exciting learning environments in our schools.
This means we work with our families and our community preschool providers to ensure that our youngest learners are welcomed into our schools before they begin Kindergarten.
Early Learning encompasses social, emotional, physical and academic programming for 0-8 year old children in Abbotsford schools.
Following the BC Ministry of Education Curriculum, the BC Early Learning Framework and current research by experts in the Early Childhood Education field, our primary classrooms focus on play based, emotionally supportive, academically stimulating, language enriched dynamic programming.
History of Abbotsford School District (Fraser Valley)
The beginnings of the public school system in Abbotsford date back to 1873 when Wis. The Central Railway Company extended its route to what is now Abbotsford, and some settlers formed a community. The school was first held in a small room on the main street in 1879 or 1880.
The rapid growth of the community made the provision of more extensive and permanent facilities for the school’s activities to be necessity. In 1885, a two-story frame building was erected on the site of the new addition to the present elementary school. Apparently the school at this point was not an “elementary school” and the children were promoted or retained by a “reader” system. The 1889 Annual Report of the Clark County Superintendent, R.J. Sawyer, said that “Abbotsford is preparing to start a primary school”.
In 1889, the addition of two more rooms gave the village a four-room schoolhouse that was considered sufficient for many years. However, this is not the case and more room is needed. Renting a room in the Kalb Building, on site currently occupied by Hutt Electric Company, has temporarily resolved the issue.
Primary classes were housed in this hall until 1900, when a small building was excavated just northwest of the large structure. In 1901, the Wisconsin Central Railroad Company moved its splits from Chippewa Falls and Stevens Point here, nearly doubling the population.
Due to the overcrowded school conditions, the division of primary classes must be distributed according to the ratio of half of the students in the morning and half in the afternoon.
When the National Education Inspector made his first visit after the school was recognized as a “public school” in 1902, recommendations were made for many improvements – heating, ventilation and sanitation.
The growing public dissatisfaction, especially among the new residents of Chippewa Falls and Stevens Point, with the school facilities and quality of provision prompted the Board of Education to convene a special constituency meeting on Tuesday. June 1904. The voters authorized the Council, which included M.W. , L.J. Seegar and A.E. Everts, to continue the plan to build a new brick school at a total cost of $13,000.
Construction of the new building began on September 1, 1904, and the foundation stone was laid on October 24, 1904. Henry E. Polley was the school’s principal at the time. With the new school being occupied in September 1905, the old buildings were removed from the site.
The one-room building containing the main classrooms has been converted into a living quarters and is now owned by Carl Erickson Jr. on Butternut Street. The original two-room building was moved almost directly north of Joe Schilling’s current home on Butternut Street and converted into a pole factory.
The addition was moved to the center of the village, where it became the town hall and remained so until it was razed in the summer of 1958.
At this stage in the development of the school system, grade-based school placement was in effect for the first eight grades, but additional work at the ninth and possibly tenth grade levels was provided. grant. Apparently, students who wanted to complete high school did so in Colby.
Steps were taken shortly after the new school was completed to get a charter for a high school in Abbotsford. On June 4, 1906, Miss Anna E. Schaeffer of the state Department of Education inspected the school and found 25 boarders eligible for high school.
Thereafter, the State Superintendent issued the Certificate of Organization. Twelve years later, in 1918, the school published a book for freshmen.
This building housed all elementary and middle school students from 1904 to 1939. Enrollment steadily increased again creating overcrowding starting around 1935. At the annual meeting in May.
In July 1938, voters empowered the Board of Education, which included Hans J. Amacher, Frank Beil and Dr. G. G. Schilds, borrowed the money needed to proceed with the construction of a new high school building.
The total cost of the building was $65,000, of which $30,000 was received as a grant from the federal government. SJ Paynter was the main supervisor at the time.
New, expanded facilities have significantly improved the district’s educational services, and for the first time, elementary and middle school students are housed in separate buildings.
Although classrooms are adequate, advancements in education require space for physical education and school meal programs. The arsenal had been used for sporting events up to that point.
In 1951, voters approved the addition to the high school which included a gymnasium, bathrooms and lockers, sports facilities, additional classrooms, kitchens, and cafeterias. The school board includes Hans J. Amacher, V.B. Hemphill and Walter Jackson, with Herbert Juneau as principal supervisor. Land was booked for the $120,000 structure in April 1952.
A full-time kindergarten was added in 1958, again leading to the need for larger facilities. In 1959-1960, a series of studies concerning the possibility of consolidating several schools in the area were launched.
In July 1961, the Abbotsford, Dorchester, and outlying school districts were dissolved and consolidated into a single school district known as Dor-Abby.
Abbotsford and Dorchester each operate a high school and students are transported to one of the two schools, depending on their program choice. Other schools operating in the newly established Dor-Abby neighborhood include an elementary school in each community, Curtiss, Brady, Pleasant Hill and Wright Schools.
With the school’s merger, the colors changed to red, black and white, with students choosing “The Falcon” as their mascot. Before the merger, Dorchester’s mascot was “red devil” in red and white, while Abbotsford’s colors were orange and black and their mascot was “leopard”.
In July 1962, when J. C. LaPlant was hired as administrator, Dor-Abby was reorganized to run Abbotsford High School and Dorchester High School. Planning has begun for the school’s new expansion to attract all students from outlying areas.
Various proposals have been made regarding possible sites and buildings needed to facilitate neighborhood expansion. Dor-Abby continued in business until 1964 when the northern part of the county was split off and became part of Colby County. Herbert Scidmore becomes trustee of the rest of the Abbotsford School District, and plans continue for a building program.
In August 1964, voters approved a loan to build a new middle school on the current site, just north of the sports field near the northwest edge of town. Construction of the new building began in May 1965 and was completed and ready for use in the spring of 1966. The old high school was converted into an elementary school.
In June, when the old elementary school was razed, a six-room addition was extended south on the site of the old school. The total cost of the construction program is $900,000. The board of education at this time included Ray Holtz, Marvin Busse, LF Loucks, Vear Dean Laabs, Art Weideman, Dan Decker and Richard Polnaszek.
At the beginning of the school year 1966-1967, the new outbuildings of the primary school were not completed yet. Kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2 are held in the basement of Christ Lutheran Church and City Hall.
The occupation of the new building took place in early November. These facilities have served the community to date. On February 26, 1973, county voters approved the addition of a store and swimming pool to the middle school.
The current school board includes Marvin Busse, John J. Nikolay, Eugene Blair, Vear Dean Laabs, L. F. Loucks, Arthur Weideman and Andrew Ruszek. Harold Mills is the current administrator of the school.
There are 802 students enrolled in kindergarten through 12th grade, served by 39 teachers, 2 part-time teachers, 2 teacher assistants, two building superintendents and an administrator.
Dor-Abby High School Choir
One of the highlights of Dor-Abby’s life was a tour that included the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C., several east coast cities, and the New York World’s Fair.
It all started when Dor-Abby received a letter from the New York World`s Fair Corporation, inviting the 74-vocal ACapella Choir to sing at the fair. The invitation was made following the recommendation of the judges of the 1963 district music competition, in which the choir won the highest honors.
The community needs to raise $15,000 to make the 2,500-mile tour a reality. Once this was completed, the departure date was set for May 9.
The group traveled to Toledo, Ohio, and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, where they visited former President Eisenhower’s ranch and Civil War battlefields. From there, they traveled to Washington, D.C., had breakfast with Representative Melvin Laird and performed a concert at the Capitol.
After visiting the White House, memorial, Mt. Vernon and Arlington National Cemetery, they passed through Philadelphia to Independence Square. Their performance at the World’s Fair took place at Flushing Meadow Park in the Tipparrillo Pavilion, a soundproof designed ballroom built specifically for concerts.
During their time in New York, they visited attractions like the Statue of Liberty, the United Nations building, and the Empire State Building. They also attended a New York Philharmonic Orchestra concert and staged the “Wonder World” fair.
When they returned on May 16, about 20 cars belonging to relatives and friends met the choir’s rented bus in Spencer and drove them home in a convoy, escorted by police. A brief welcome ceremony followed at the Grande Ecole.
Credit for this great achievement must go to the Director, Robert Lee Benson, who came to Dor-Abby County in 1962 to build a choir that has proven to be a source of great pride for the community as well as the state as a whole. state.
This choir is the only high school musical group from Wisconsin to perform at the New York World’s Fair. To help preserve the memory of the event, a recording of the talented band was made during their performance.
Location of Abbotsford School District (Fraser Valley)
Mailing Address Abbotsford School District
Abbotsford School District
2790 Tims Street, Abbotsford, BC V2T 4M7
Tel: 604.859.4891 | Fax: 604.852.8587 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am – 3:30pm